[SciPy-dev] swig/python detected a memory leak of type 'void *', no destructor found

Nils Wagner nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Jan 9 13:28:18 CST 2007

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:20:15 -0600
  Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nils Wagner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Running scipy.test(1) using r2513 results in
>
> You know the drill. Try to find which test is failing,
>please, using
>
>  scipy.test(1, 10)
>
> --
> Robert Kern
>
> "I have come to believe that the whole world is an
>enigma, a harmless enigma
> that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to
>interpret it as though it had
> an underlying truth."
>  -- Umberto Eco

O.K. here is the critical part of the output

check_djbfft (scipy.fftpack.tests.test_basic.test_rfft)
... ok
Getting factors of complex matrixswig/python detected a
[...]
Getting factors of real matrixswig/python detected a
[...]
Solve with UMFPACK: double precision complexswig/python
detected a memory leak of type 'void *', no destructor
found.
swig/python detected a memory leak of type 'void *', no
destructor found.
  ... ok
Solve: single precision complexUse minimum degree ordering
on A'+A.
  ... ok
Solve with UMFPACK: double precisionswig/python detected a
memory leak of type 'void *', no destructor found.
swig/python detected a memory leak of type 'void *', no
destructor found.
  ... ok

I am using UMFPACKv4.4 (SuiteSparse UMFPACK 5.02 doesn't
work for me)

>>> scipy.show_config()
amd_info:
     libraries = ['amd']
     library_dirs =
['/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/AMD/Lib']
     define_macros = [('SCIPY_AMD_H', None)]
     swig_opts =
['-I/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/AMD/Include']
     include_dirs =
['/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/AMD/Include']

umfpack_info:
     libraries = ['umfpack', 'amd']
     library_dirs =
['/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/UMFPACK/Lib',
'/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/AMD/Lib']
     define_macros = [('SCIPY_UMFPACK_H', None),
('SCIPY_AMD_H', None)]
     swig_opts =
['-I/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/UMFPACK/Include',
'-I/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/AMD/Include']
     include_dirs =
['/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/UMFPACK/Include',
'/home/nwagner/src/UMFPACKv4.4/AMD/Include']

Should I use valgrind to get further information ?
If yes how do I use valgrind in that case ?

Nils