[SciPy-dev] fitpack tests

John Travers jtravs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 16:57:31 CST 2007

I'm in the process of sorting out the tests for fitpack as part of my
ongoing attempt to split out a relatively clean spline module - see, I
am slowly working on it :-). At the moment only fitpack2.py has a unit
test suite. fitpack.py has a number of test functions at the bottom
(if it is run as a script). I'm planning of moving these into a unit
test suite (if it makes sense - i'm not sure it does at the mo), and
then adding extra tests from the original fortran library. I'll then
use these tests to check that my new code doesn't break anything...

BUT:

At the moment tests 1 and 2 don't pass on the original code (in
addition, I had to remove a keyword from the splrep function calls to
get them to run at all, the attached patch does this - which I'll
commit to svn soon). Tests 3-5 run, but I still need to verify the
output. Tests 1 and 2 fail with ier=10 returned from fitpack which
indicates invalid input data.

I'm wondering if anybody with the historical knowledge/wisdom of this
module knows if a) I'm doing something stupid!! b) what may be wrong
if not?

Thanks for any help,
John