[SciPy-dev] Docstring standards for NumPy and SciPy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 14:24:24 CST 2007

Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Nice!
>
> I'm wondering whether the default values of optional arguments should be
> mentioned in the docstrings?

I've suggested "Don't." as they can be found from the signature. The signature
should always be available from regular Python functions and should be included
in the docstring for extension functions. Anything that requires more
explanation than that can be described in prose in the parameter's description.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco