[SciPy-dev] Callback feature for iterative solvers

Ed Schofield edschofield at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 11:45:54 CST 2007

On 1/24/07, Nils Wagner <nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Ed Schofield wrote:
> >
> > On 1/24/07, *Nils Wagner* <nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de
> > <mailto:nwagner at iam.uni-stuttgart.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Ed,
> >
> >     Great !
> >     Thank you very much !
> >     It seems to work well with the exception of GMRES.
> >     Please find attached a short test.
> >     Am I missing something ?
>

> > No, I agree. It seems that there's something wrong with GMRES

> Hi Ed,
>
> Done. Maybe you can add some comments.
> Again thank you very much for the new functionality !!
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/360

Actually, I'm mystified about the meaning of iter_ in gmres() and the
others. Can anyone shed any light on this? Why is the output value of iter_
from revcom() used as the *input* value in the next iteration? Why is the
maxiter argument only used once, for the first call to revcom(), and then
apparently ignored for all subsequent calls?

I'm inclined to revert the callback patch -- it seems broken. But if the
revcom Fortran functions can perform multiple iterations each, we can't
easily call back Python functions each iteration. Is there a better
solution?

-- Ed