[SciPy-dev] Implementing a distance matrix between two sets of vectors concept

Wed Jul 4 10:54:19 CDT 2007

On 04/07/07, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Mmm, not sure to understand what you mean. The problem is that you have
> {u_1, ... , u_N} and {v_1, ..., v_M} vectors, and you want the distance
> for any possible combination {u_i, v_j}, which is a real (eg the actual
> size of the matrix in memory does not depends on the dimension of the
> data, only on N and M). I don't see how sparsity can help help here ?

If the problem is that an N by M by R matrix is too big, then it's
probably perfectly fine to build the N by M matrix by looping over one
axis (so you only construct new N by R matrices, say).

Anne