[SciPy-dev] Implementing a distance matrix between two sets of vectors concept

Peter Skomoroch peter.skomoroch@gmail....
Wed Jul 4 23:00:11 CDT 2007

The sparse functionality I use is actually in scipy, this page describes how
it works:

http://www.scipy.org/SciPy_Tutorial#head-d074c4e5a3ef51a7e0456ae966669c7807dee904

On 7/4/07, David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Peter Skomoroch wrote:
> > You're right, I was thinking the sparse data structures would help
> > with storing the input vectors themselves during the computation
> > rather than the final matrix (which will need to be 1/2 M*N if the
> > distance is symmetric)...this comes up a lot in collaborative
> > filtering where the dimensionality of the vectors is high, but most of
> > the vector entries are missing.
> Ok, that this basically means supporting sparse input, right ? I have to
> say that I don't know anything about sparse implementations issues in
> numpy (or any other language for that matter). I guess that performances
> mainly depend on the flexibility between matrix representation and data
> storage. Are sparse arrays directly supported in numpy ?
>
> David

Peter N. Skomoroch
peter.skomoroch@gmail.com
http://www.datawrangling.com