[SciPy-dev] sparse comments and questions

Peter Skomoroch peter.skomoroch@gmail....
Sat Jul 7 21:06:43 CDT 2007

Nathan,

Do you have any plans to implement sparse matrix division?  That is
something I've found lacking in the sparse matrix support...

-Pete

On 7/7/07, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently the sparse matrix storage formats (e.g.  sparse.csr_matrix )
> only support integer indices ( numpy.intc ) and floating point data
> (float32, float64, complex64, and complex128).  While this addresses
> the common usage, it would be nice to support other index and data
> formats also.  For example, when using a csr_matrix to represent a
> graph the dtype is mostly irrelevant, so smaller types like uint8
> would be desirable.  Likewise, on a 64-bit machine, one might like to
> use 32-bit indices (instead of the default C-int size) to economize on
> space.
>
> The sparsetools routines are fully templated, so it's a simple matter
> to support the other types there.  However, I don't know whether other
> subpackages that use sparse matrices would require changes.  Any
> thoughts?
>

> I have a few other questions and comments regarding the sparse package.
>
> 1) Does anyone depend on the .ftype attribute of the sparse formats?
> Can it be eliminated?  If not, can it be trapped by __getattr__() so
> that it doesn't become unsynchronized from data.dtype?
>
> 2) When operating on multiple types, what's the best way to get the
> correct upcast type?  For example int32 + float32 -> float64.  I know
> this can be done experimentally (
> http://www.scipy.org/Tentative_NumPy_Tutorial/Discussion ).  Is there
> a better way?
>
> 3) Should we allow modifications to CSR and CSC matrices that force
> O(N) updates/reallocations.  For instance, adding a new value into a
> CSR matrix is essentially as expensive as building a new one from
> scratch.  Could we instead prohibit such modifications and raise an
> exception informing the user that lil_matrix is the proper format for
> such operations?  Note that changing an existing matrix value is not
> so costly (typically O(1)), so not all calls to __setitem__ would be
> banned.
>
> 4) lil_matrix now supports more sophisticated slicing, but the
> implementation is pretty hairy and not especially fast.  Is anyone
> looking at this?  Does the slicing work correctly?  I fixed a bug
> related to negative indices, but I'm not completely confident in the
> robustness of my fix.
>
> 5) Scipy's spdiags() works differently than the MATLAB version.
> Should it be changed to coincide?  If we later support a sparse
> diagonal format, should the output of spdiags change to dia_matrix
> instead of the present csc_matrix?
>
> 6) When working with sparse matrices, do people expect the result to
> be of the same type?  For example, it's far more efficient to make
> transpose(csr_matrix) output a csc_matrix (as is currently done in
> SciPy) since that's a O(1) operation (as opposed to an O(n) cost
> otherwise).  So in general, should a method to return the result in
> most efficient output format, relying on the user to convert it to
> another format if so desired?  I.e. if you need a csr_matrix at a
> [...]

Peter N. Skomoroch
peter.skomoroch@gmail.com
http://www.datawrangling.com