[SciPy-dev] ticket 390 ("scipy.optimize.fmin_bfgs fails without warning", Reported by: ycopin)

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Wed Jul 18 07:17:01 CDT 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, dmitrey apparently wrote:
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/390
> So, since user has sin(const/b), the func is
> 1) non-convex
> 2) has lots of local minimum
> So I guess it's nothing special that sometimes fmin_bfgs yields other
> solution (from other start points) than the one the user mentioned.
> So I think the ticket should be closed.

Yannick, can you comment please?  Nils too.
I read the ticket as concerning not the particular point
found but that stopping was away from a local
minimum without warning, even though the Jacobian was ok.

Alan Isaac

PS Dmitrey is working on these tickets this week and needs
very quick feedback.