[SciPy-dev] change scipy.optimize function signatures?? FEEDBACK NEEDED!! (ticket 285)

Thu Jul 19 12:22:14 CDT 2007

On 19/07/07, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Anne Archibald apparently wrote:
> > Please don't do this! This renders the signature useless
> > in figuring out how to call the function...
> > Then again, I'm not sure I see what this opaque
> > OptimizationParams is supposed to accomplish.
>
> It is supposed to
>
> 1. be a less ugly way to get what the ticket is seeking, and
>
> 2. eventually be a way of ensuring some uniformity across
> the optimization functions
>
> I am not pushing for it (really! it is just a quick
> exploration), but it seems that your core concern could be
> addressed by a docstring.
>
> I still need to know: do you like the change proposed in the
> ticket?

Hmm.

I like the ability to control bracketing, but I'd rather see the
bracket options passed in individually rather than as a dictionary. If
that means the functions have far too many options, hiding them in an
object isn't going to help; a better interface is a better solution.
Perhaps making objects to represent optimization problems might make
it easier to suppy as many or as few parameters as desired?

Anne