[SciPy-dev] Launchpad hosting: an option for scipy?

Tue Jul 24 17:19:12 CDT 2007

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to mention this I ran across:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070724-ars-at-ubuntu-live-new-launchpad-service-automatically-builds-and-hosts-user-packages.html
>
> It sounds like it could provide an interesting, low-overhead solution
> for hosting .debs.  I know Andrew (at least) has hosted his privately,
> but this appears to lower the logistical bar for others to do the same
> without having to know quite as much about deb packaging as Andrew
> does.

I have not used the system, just read the description in your link. My
quick thoughts
- the scripts (debian folder) to build numpy and scipy packages are
already done, since numpy and scipy are available. So this part is not
really important.
- building automatically debian packages regularly (say once a week)
would be useful, but this needs some kind of SVN tarball, or any other
thing which can provide the sources. Launchpad normally integrate
through bzr, and a plugin to import svn from bzr is available (I use it
myself, and I could import numpy and scipy repositories into bzr for
something like 6 months now; having a public bzr mirror of numpy and
scipy would be great: this is so much better than svn in any way for
middle-size project like scipy).

The above point, regular release tarball, would be a great help for me
for the packaging I've done using the OpenSuse build system
(http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/ashigabou/ for the
packages, http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service for description), since
it would avoid the backporting of features from svn to make released
scipy sill buildable with last numpy.

To go further, I think the meta-data to build deb and rpm should be part
of numpy and scipy (eg releases and repository). I am in the camp of
people who believe packaging is better done by people invovled in the
development of the said software.

cheers,

David