[SciPy-dev] Proposal for more generic optimizers (posted before on scipy-user)

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Thu Mar 8 08:07:12 CST 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Matthieu Brucher apparently wrote:
> The purpose of this list was to not make a test inside the
> iteration loop.  In the first idea I had, a test was made
> to know if the parameters were to be saved or not. I'm
> balanced between the two solutions.

You can skip a test inside the loop
and use a default method that is always called.

        def record_history(self,etcetera):
                pass

Allow alternative functions to be passed by the user as part
of the Optimizer object initialization so that overriding is
not necessary.

Of course the 'etcetera' part is important ...  I can
imagine wanting lots of pieces of the history.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac