[SciPy-dev] Proposal for more generic optimizers (posted before on scipy-user)

Alan Isaac aisaac@american....
Thu Mar 22 08:45:07 CDT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Matthieu Brucher wrote:
> the structure for an optimizer is thought so as to be more
> modular, so implementing a new "optimizer" does not imply
> writting everything from scratch. Everything cannot be
> thought in advance, but some can.

We certainly agree on this.  My main expressed concern was
about interface.  Now I have another possibly crazy thought.

Right now you require an object that implements methods with
certain names, which is ok but I think not perfect.  Here is
a possibly crazy thought, just to explore.  How about making
all arguments optional, and allowing passing either such an
object or the needed components?  Finally, to accmmodate
existing objects with a different name structure, allow
passing a dictionary of attribute names.

fwiw,
Alan