[SciPy-dev] Roadmap for SciPy/Numpy

Fri Mar 30 03:56:31 CDT 2007

Joe Harrington wrote:
>> I would like to know if there is somme kind of roadmap for the developpement
>> of SciPy/Numpy, I can't find it on the web site, neither on this mailing
>> list.
>
> There is a roadmap for everything except the software itself (docs,
> releases, etc.) in http://scipy.org/Developer_Zone (scroll to the
> bottom).  The Developer_Zone page is the right place to list people
> and to put a more formal roadmap/timetable.  But, a timeline can't
> happen until people step up to lead the component efforts.
>
> It seems the community is in the perpetual state of having a *lot* of
> ready workers, but only a few committed leaders.  We need:
>
> Someone to lead the creation of binary installers for all platforms,
> 	especially the various Linux distros.
Concerning this one, my understanding is that official deb are available
for debian etch and the next ubuntu, to be released in a few weeks.
Maybe we can incorporate their effort in the numpy sources, a bit like
this is done for pytables ? So providing binaries for every new release
would be much easier ?

Also, the main problem for installing numpy and scipy is to fullfill the
dependencies, right ? (atlas, etc...) ?

I've started to take a look at the build system from openSuse, which may
be useful towards the goal of providing binaries (for linux, obviously;
I don't know anything about  the difficulies to provide windows or mac
os X binaries):

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service

I hope to be able to provide preliminary binary builds (eg rpm) of ATLAS
usable by numpy/scipy really soon, actually (I just have to familiarize
a bit more with RPM; I am much more familiar with deb packaging).

cheers,

David