[SciPy-dev] adopting Python Style Guide for classes

Robert Kern rkern@enthought....
Tue Oct 2 13:49:18 CDT 2007

Perry Greenfield wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Jarrod Millman wrote:
>
>> So far, there is Universal support for the basic idea of conforming to
>> the Python Style Guide.  Since it should effect the user API, we have
>
> I'm somewhat startled to see this. Perhaps my memory is very bad, but
> I seem to recall that there was an explicit decision in the past not
> to use the Python conventions for class names. The reason I recall
> was that scientists and engineers don't like them (or something like
> that). I also recall that this was a strongly held opinion by some
> very influential in the scipy effort ;-)

The reason that was recorded was to give everything the same interface,
regardless of what it was, for the sake of non-programmers who are learning to
program ("For those that object, you are skilled enough to deal with the
limitation."). However, we are beginning to deviate strongly from the rest of
the community, and (at least in my opinion) any benefit you get from internal
consistency is extremely weak, but the annoyance of being inconsistent with the
rest of the Python world is fairly strong. No one uses just numpy and scipy.

> Mind you, I wasn't one of those that felt that strongly about it, but
> do realize that the people that are voting here are not your typical
> users. So before this is considered a "universal" opinion, I'd like
> to see some of those that made the decision the other way bless it
> (and some rationale for the switch that addresses the original
> decision).
>
> Eric, Travis, what say you?

They're in on it. However, they're also busy at a customer site for the week, so
I get to speak for them.  :-)

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."