[SciPy-dev] Should NIfTI be in scipy?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Oct 8 14:49:55 CDT 2007

Before we re-enable building scipy.io.nifti, can we discuss whether or not it
should be in scipy at all? I don't believe it was ever discussed on the list. In
my personal opinion, I don't think we should be including code which is as
domain-specific as NIfTI is. It also seems to me that PyNIfTI had a fairly
successful life on its own, to the point of being included in some Linux
distributions; I don't see what either scipy of PyNIfTI gains by absorbing it
into scipy. However, I do see that the build process of scipy getting worse
(hopefully, this is temporary) and also that PyNIfTI users would now depend on a
much larger library that is mostly irrelevant to them.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco