[SciPy-dev] Should NIfTI be in scipy?

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon Oct 8 15:15:46 CDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before we re-enable building scipy.io.nifti, can we discuss whether or not it
> should be in scipy at all? I don't believe it was ever discussed on the list. In
> my personal opinion, I don't think we should be including code which is as
> domain-specific as NIfTI is. It also seems to me that PyNIfTI had a fairly
> successful life on its own, to the point of being included in some Linux
> distributions; I don't see what either scipy of PyNIfTI gains by absorbing it
> into scipy. However, I do see that the build process of scipy getting worse
> (hopefully, this is temporary) and also that PyNIfTI users would now depend on a
> much larger library that is mostly irrelevant to them.

I apologize for the build issues, we have certainly been too eager to
get the PyNIfTI code into SciPy.  The main reason we were trying to
get this code in is that we are in the process of adding some image
processing functionality to SciPy.  Since most of the images we use
are NIfTI format, it makes it easier for us if we can read our images
using SciPy as well.  If the consensus is that NIfTI format shouldn't
be supported by scipy.io then we can just keep this functionality
inside NIPY.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman