[SciPy-dev] problems with numpy.setuptools("single_version_externally_managed")

dmitrey dmitrey.kroshko@scipy....
Tue Sep 25 02:17:53 CDT 2007

hi all,

If I use in setup.py:

import setuptools
from numpy.distutils.system_info import system_info, NotFoundError,
dict_append, so_ext

I successfully install (OpenOpt) but Nils and I get the warning (with
latest numpy)
WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!WARNING!

distutils has been imported before numpy.distutils
and now numpy.distutils cannot apply all of its
customizations to distutils effectively.

To avoid this warning, make sure that numpy.distutils
is imported *before* distutils.
(BTW note that distutils is not setuptools)

If I use vise versa, as it is recommended:
from numpy.distutils.system_info import system_info, NotFoundError,
dict_append, so_ext
import setuptools
Then I get:

$ sudo python setup.py install

running install
running build
running config_cc
unifing config_cc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands
--compiler options
running config_fc
unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands
--fcompiler options
running build_py
running install_lib
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 93, in <module>
    'Topic :: Scientific/Engineering']
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/core.py", line
176, in setup
    return old_setup(**new_attr)
  File "distutils/core.py", line 151, in setup
  File "distutils/dist.py", line 974, in run_commands
  File "distutils/dist.py", line 994, in run_command
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/command/install.py",
line 16, in run
    r = old_install.run(self)
  File "distutils/command/install.py", line 510, in run
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/cmd.py", line 333, in run_command
    del help[cmd]
  File "distutils/dist.py", line 994, in run_command
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools/command/install_lib.py",
line 21, in run
    outfiles = self.install()
  File "distutils/command/install_lib.py", line 116, in install
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools/command/install_lib.py",
line 47, in copy_tree
    exclude = self.get_exclusions()
  File
"/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/setuptools/command/install_lib.py",
line 30, in get_exclusions
    if (nsp and self.get_finalized_command('install')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/cmd.py", line 112, in __getattr__
    import readline
AttributeError: single_version_externally_managed

Do you know what does it means and how it could be fixed?
Best regards, D.