[SciPy-dev] problems with numpy.setuptools("single_version_externally_managed")

Tue Sep 25 21:30:58 CDT 2007

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> I think distutils.*compiler modules are not designed to be
> imported unless specifically requested via --compiler flag.
> Though only importing distutils.msvccompiler has side effect.
My impression is that distutils.msvccompiler is quite different from all
the other ones, right ? It does not have the same attributes, etc...
This fact is explicitely mentioned in distutils (msvccompiler.py):

# Just set this so CCompiler's constructor doesn't barf.  We currently
# don't use the 'set_executables()' bureaucracy provided by CCompiler,
# as it really isn't necessary for this sort of single-compiler class.
# Would be nice to have a consistent interface with UnixCCompiler,
# though, so it's worth thinking about.

> A seemingly easy fix would be to use the fix by checking os.name
> and sys.platform but if one is using mingw32 compiler under windows,
> the given warnings would be still wrong.

Would it be possible to implement our own msvccompiler instead ?

cheers,

David