[SciPy-dev] Strange scipy.test crashes on OS X/Intel

Thu Sep 27 21:34:54 CDT 2007

Robert Kern wrote:
> Tom Loredo wrote:
>

>> If there is anything further I can do to help diagnose these issues, please
>> advise.
>>

> Can you run it in gdb and give us the backtrace?
>
> $ gdb python
> GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-573) (Fri Oct 20 15:50:43 GMT 2006)
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for shared
> libraries .. done
>
> (gdb) run -c "import scipy; scipy.test(10,10)"
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/python -c "import scipy; scipy.test()"
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
>
> Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
> 0x8fe01010 in __dyld__dyld_start ()
> (gdb) c
> Continuing.
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
> Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
>

> Then use the "bt" command after the segfault happens to get the backtrace.

I don't think there is a need for gdb, the error is again in the
check_dot: the dot function when using apple vecLib framework does not
work. I tried to fix it in scipy.linalg, but the code is duplicated in
scipy.lib, and I didn't make the modification there.

My understanding, but Pearu should confirm this since I am not involved
at all with this code, is that scipy.lib is a refactoring of the core of
scipy.linalg; as such, maybe the module can be disabled at the test
level ? scipy.lib is not used anywhere else in scipy, and people should
use scipy.linalg, no ? This is a mere suggestion, maybe someone else has
a better idea ?

cheers,

David