[SciPy-dev] problems with numpy.setuptools...

Pearu Peterson pearu@cens.ioc...
Fri Sep 28 16:15:23 CDT 2007

On Fri, September 28, 2007 11:40 pm, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

> I would prefer if numpy were *always* in a release-ready state.

Most of the time it actually is.

> Why can't we instrument tests for distutils?  If the code is so confusing
> that we can't test it (or "practical corner cases"), should we be
> using it as a core ingredient in the first place?

The code is not so confusing - it has well-defined (though undocumented)
structure that can be extended after one gets an idea how things
work in distutils.

The variety of different compilers and platforms makes developing
distutils difficult. I guess none of the developers who dare to
touch distutils have access to all platforms and compilers that
we are trying to support. This fact will not change after switching
to some other tool such as scons.

We actually have tests for distutils - see buildbot.scipy.org.

> David's idea of using scons to build everything sounds more appealing
> by the day.  Distutils can still do the packaging, but at least we
> would have a modularised, testable, no-hassles build environment.

You obviously have little idea what does it mean to replace
numpy.distutils with some other building tool;) Let this to be
a challenge to work this out for anyone.

Pearu