[SciPy-dev] Google Summer of Code and scipy.learn (another trying)

Thu Apr 3 02:49:51 CDT 2008

2008/4/3, Yaroslav Halchenko <lists@onerussian.com>:

> Hi Anton
>
> Thank you for the interest in PyMVPA ;-) Indeed PyMVPA itself might be
> not the best basis to jump off for scikits.learn since we see
> PyMVPA more of a framework, not a toolbox. As I said earlier, on the
> other hand some ideas might be borrowed from PyMVPA. Please don't take
> me wrong -- if you think that PyMVPA looks like a good starting point to
> develop on -- that is cool, you are welcome to the team. On the other
> hand, if you develop .learn independently we will be interested into
> migrating some of functionality into wider-audience .learn and just rely
> on importing .learn internally within PyMVPA

This would be great, there are a lot of things that could be usefull for a
toolbox (like the Shogun wrapper). The learn scikit has some good ideas as
well, for instance the libsvm wrapper. The wrapper constructs the library as
well, this way you have the correct version (I had to get libsvm from the
debian repository as Fedora 8 does not provide the correct one), with the
correct patch, and no include/library dir sweat.

May be we could have some quick (or not so quick) chit chat (voice via
> skype or any other voip + VNC screen) some time next week. There is
> additional discussion happening on exppsy-pymvpa mailing list which you
> are welcome to join as well
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-exppsy-pymvpa

Matthieu
--