[SciPy-dev] job postings on the web site

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Apr 4 21:27:04 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Joe Harrington <jh@physics.ucf.edu> wrote:
> I've just had a pretty tough search to hire a couple of people who
>  have skill in numpy/scipy.  A search on Monster for "numpy" got just
>  one (1) hit out of a few million resumes, yet I know they must be out
>  there.  How would people feel about a page on the website where people
>  could post job ads and job-seeker ads for work using or related to
>  numerical uses of Python?  Or how about just for development work *on*
>  numpy/scipy/matplotlib/etc.?  We'd have to find some reasonable set of
>  constraints, but how does the principle of it strike you?  This would
>  be a commercial use of the site, and the first, so I didn't want to
>  make a page following the "wiki way" without some feedback.

I suspect that most of the time, the page will be mostly empty.
Previously, I've stated that it would be permissible to post job
announcements to the numpy and scipy mailing lists if they have a
[JOB] marker in the subject line (and no one objected, so it's
essentially official policy). For the level of activity that I'm
estimating, it seems that that would be more appropriate. Fixtures
like job pages don't really work unless if there is a de minimis
amount of activity; if there aren't usually any jobs posted, no one
looking for a job checks it. I suspect that you would get more quality
hits by posting to the general Python Job Board than a numpy-specific
one.

  http://www.python.org/community/jobs/

--
Robert Kern