[SciPy-dev] Moving numexpr to its own project

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon Apr 7 11:36:42 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
>  1. I do not accept the "not 'sciency' enough" argument.

I can't really speak for the authors, but I would guess they were
looking for a large audience.  Rather than numexpr being rejected from
the scikit's namespace as "not 'sciency' enough", the authors wanted
their project not to appear to be restricted to scientific uses.

You will need to convince the authors that their code should be a
scikit, rather than a stand-alone project.  Personally, I think it
makes complete sense to be a stand-alone project; but I would be happy
to see it as a scikit as well.

>  2. I understand the need for separate/separable bug
>  databases, and this seems like a general problem to be
>  addressed for scikits.  I would hate to see scikits
>  start spinning off to new locations based on this
>  consideration.

As far as I can tell, this doesn't seem to have been an issue for
them.  I believe this is more of an issue for the OpenOpt project.

>  3. I think a tendency for projects to "cluster" around
>  SciPy is very healthy for SciPy as a whole.  At the
>  *very* least I would hope to see such projects list
>  themself at the (nonexistent!) page
>  http://www.scipy.org/SciPyPackages.

Go for it!  I would prefer you call the page
http://www.scipy.org/SciKits.  Even better would be to spend some time
working on the scikits' project page and then adding a link to the
scipy page somewhere.  That way you won't have to keep two pages in
synch.  This is much needed work and would go a long way to providing
more publicity to the scikits and would be much appreciated work.

>  By the way, <URL:http://www.scipy.org/SciPyPackages/NumExpr>
>  will need to be changed ...

It is a wiki, so go ahead and update it yourself.  (I am assuming the
authors haven't added access restriction; if they have, you should
send them an email directly with your suggested changes.)

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley