[SciPy-dev] Moving numexpr to its own project

Jonathan Guyer guyer@nist....
Mon Apr 7 12:07:20 CDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Jarrod Millman wrote:

> I can't really speak for the authors, but I would guess they were
> looking for a large audience.  Rather than numexpr being rejected from
> the scikit's namespace as "not 'sciency' enough", the authors wanted
> their project not to appear to be restricted to scientific uses.

This is just a guess, but they also might not want to have appeared to
require SciPy, specifically. Speaking from our own experience,
although FiPy uses and recommends SciPy, we don't require it because
it's frankly a headache to install and we know from experience that
the support requests from our users are going to come to us, not to
the SciPy developers.

--
Jonathan E. Guyer, PhD
Metallurgy Division