[SciPy-dev] [scikits] openopt SVN instable for the moment

Wed Apr 9 01:45:05 CDT 2008

2008/4/9, dmitrey <dmitrey.kroshko@scipy.org>:

> So now nlp_ALGENCAN.py and milp_1.py just don't work, mb some others as
> well.

Perhaps with the erros, I could be able to find out what is happening ?

P.S. OO installation page says extracting OO from svn is recommended
> way. So users should be informed of the issue, not just scipy-dev.

That's what packages are made for. When the package is in a stable state,
one can think about modifying files so that the module is enhanced. This fix
waited far too long. And besides, I think that the code I provided in the
scikit should be available for people who want it (generic framework that
you hid in the solvers). I once started a similar fix and you rolled back
everything.
I'm sorry, but you are not the only one that spent days, weeks, to create
the package. I spent hours trying to do something you said you would do
months ago (this fix). But sometimes, decisions have to be made, because
other code depend on it. I already waited too long to fix this design (this
was one of the reasons I did not add new stuff to the package, as I had no
way of advertizing it to the outside world).

On
> the other hand, I prefer to check all /examples/*.py pass ok BEFORE
> committing anything to svn.

That cannot be always the case. Besides, since your last release, I don't
think you commited code, so people who want to use the last stable realease
can do so. And people who want to use the full power of the package can do
so now.

Sorry for the harsh criticism, but I 'm thinking about this for several
months.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student