[SciPy-dev] the current state and future directions of the sparse solvers

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Wed Apr 9 02:45:28 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Nils Wagner
<nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:46:34 +0200
>
>  > OK, that sounds very good. I am going to study how to
>  >start such a
>  > scikit and we are going to move our additional solvers
>  >we have in
>  > sfepy to it (pysparse, soon petsc4py) -- are you ok with
>  >that Robert?
>  > :) Plus umfpack.  Plus the eigensolvers, like primme,
>  >blzpack and
>  > others.
>  >
>  AFAIK Jacobi-Davidson is part of pysparse.

Yep.

>  And you probably know slepc
>
>  http://www.grycap.upv.es/slepc/
>
>  http://t2.unl.edu/documentation/slepc4py

Of course. Even the authors of slepc personally. It's a good project,
but unfortunately, slepc is not a free software, so I don't want to
depend on it.
I think and I hope Jose (one of the authors) will release it as
opensource in couple years, but for now it is not.

>  And polyeig ... How about that ?

You mean this?

http://www-eleves-isia.cma.fr/documentation/matlab/techdoc/ref/polyeig.html

I don't need it for my problems, so... :)

>  Cheers,
>
>            Nils
>
>  For nonlinear eigenvalue problems, see
>
>  http://www.mims.manchester.ac.uk/research/numerical-analysis/nlevp.html