[SciPy-dev] [scikits] openopt SVN instable for the moment

Alan Isaac aisaac@american....
Wed Apr 9 11:18:08 CDT 2008

OK, it seems that things are largely getting worked out
here.

It looks to me like Matthieu implemented some useful
changes, and one of the good things that happened is that
a bug was uncovered.  As far as I can tell, there has been
an increase in functionality and ease of use with no loss of
functionality or ease of use.  Dmitrey, please correct me if
I misunderstand (by stating in simple terms what
functionality is lost).

I have been encouraging Dmitrey to rely more on test-driven
development.  This event highlights its importance, and it
is one of the things I will be enouraging if I end up
mentoring him for the GSoC (as I hope I will).

I think that aside from the design issues, another kind of
issue was uncovered that is quite natural.  Dmitrey and
Matthieu are working on code that sometimes overlaps in
terms of needs and tests.  But of course it is natural for
each to feel protective of his primary area of work, since
they are not actually working jointly on a single project.
This means that good tests become all the more
crucial---tests that should be passed in advance of commits.
But in addition, I suggest a 2-stage procedure in areas of
design disagreement:

        1. discuss with each other any large or medium size
        changes in design
        2. if there are unresolvable disagreements, ask the
        developers list for feedback on the best resolution

Cheers,
Alan Isaac