[SciPy-dev] [scikits] openopt SVN instable for the moment

dmitrey dmitrey.kroshko@scipy....
Wed Apr 9 12:11:50 CDT 2008

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

>     I have been encouraging Dmitrey to rely more on test-driven
>     development.  This event highlights its importance, and it
>     is one of the things I will be enouraging if I end up
>     mentoring him for the GSoC (as I hope I will).
>
>     I think that aside from the design issues, another kind of
>     issue was uncovered that is quite natural.  Dmitrey and
>     Matthieu are working on code that sometimes overlaps in
>     terms of needs and tests.  But of course it is natural for
>     each to feel protective of his primary area of work, since
>     they are not actually working jointly on a single project.
>

> We work on different part of the package, but I have had this issue
> for several months (not being able to use the generic framework). This
> change was not discussed here, but was hinted on several other ML some
> months ago (python-list for instance).
I didn't remember that you informed me (at least directly or via scipy
mail list) that something from genericopt doesn't work. Would you inform
me of problems with GenericOpt in direct letter, I would fix the
situation. But I remember only the words from the letter mentioned that
you can use genericopt  in current implementation; I didn't remember had
you ever informed me of your problems with importing genericopt.

If you want, I could propose you once again keeping (and/or installing
from openopt installation) GenericOpt in separate scikit, so you will do
any changes in GenericOpt code w/o any comments from me (provided w/o
modifying OO code of course), also, you and/or other genericopt users
could access him (more) directly. Also, you could do anything whatever
you want (if you'll want anything of course) in
openopt/solvers/genericopt, as well as any other one with willing to
contribute anything in solvers/<his_dir>.

D.