[SciPy-dev] the current state and future directions of the sparse solvers

Viral Shah vshah@interactivesupercomputing....
Thu Apr 10 04:21:20 CDT 2008

Hi Robert,

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Nathan Bell wrote:
>>> OK, that sounds very good. I am going to study how to start such a
>>> scikit and we are going to move our additional solvers we have in
>>> sfepy to it (pysparse, soon petsc4py) -- are you ok with that
>>> Robert?
>>> :) Plus umfpack.  Plus the eigensolvers, like primme, blzpack and
>>> others.
>
> Sure!

I agree its good to have more solvers. Tim Davis' SuiteSparse has a
whole bunch, and they are the most robust direct sparse solvers out
there..

>> I just recently saw a talk by some people that work on providing
>> abstract interfaces to the solvers in Trilinos:
>> http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r8.0/packages/stratimikos/doc/html/index.html
>> http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/belos/
>>
>> I have no experience with these, but they may provide some guidance.

Trilinos is good idea. By itself, its a huge collection. The relevant
piece is Amesos for direct solvers. It makes plugging in various
sparse direct solvers effortless.  Cholmod for sparse cholesky seems
to not exist yet.

I am wondering how to find out more about the state of iterative
solvers in scipy. Trilinos has all the methods and preconditioners.
However, it should be possible to write the iterative solvers and
preconditioners  completely in .py. For the standard stuff, perhaps
compiled libraries could be used for speed, but the flexibility is
nice to have.

The last time I had looked, they didn't have support for complex
sparse matrices. I don't know if scipy sparse supports complex
matrices or not yet. But if you want to solve non-symmetric eigenvalue
problems, you need that..

-viral