[SciPy-dev] Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested] <--

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Thu Apr 10 10:35:33 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
>  04:03 Changeset [4125] by pearu
>     Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested]

While I am happy for the added functionality, I agree we need to
enforce our policy of testing all new code!  Stefan has done an
excellent job of opening trouble tickets for all new non-tested
functionality.  However, I would rather see Stefan spending his time
more productively.  If everyone will just commit to adding some unit
tests or even doctests when they added new functionality, Stefan and
others will be able to focus on adding new functionality as well.  I
know that writing tests isn't the most fun activity for everyone, but
if we all do it for our own code, we will be better off in the long
run.

This check-in also raises what I think is an important question, which
I hope to turn into a larger discussion once NumPy 1.0.5 is released.
I would like to see us develop a simple file interface used by all the
NumPy/SciPy IO code that would transparently handle things like
compression and location.  Chris Burns has contributed a prototype of
what I am thinking about from the NIPY project:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/browser/trunk/numpy/lib/_datasource.py

Unfortunately, we haven't had time to publicize this.  However, I hope
that everyone who is interested will have a chance to take a look at
this code over the next few weeks.  Once 1.0.5 is out and we start
discussing what goes into NumPy 1.1, I hope that Chris will have an
opportunity to lead a discussion about what the community thinks this
simple file interface should be.  My only constraint is that I think
it must remain very lean and lightweight.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley