[SciPy-dev] Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested] <--

Pearu Peterson pearu@cens.ioc...
Thu Apr 10 13:49:08 CDT 2008

On Thu, April 10, 2008 8:07 pm, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>>  ? The changeset is there because a user asked a feature. Adding
>>  this feature was trivial, testing it is not so because it requires
>> certain
>>  input that I don't have at hand. There is a request for the user to
>> check
>>  if the feature works.
>
> While waiting for input, why not attach the change as a patch to the
> ticket?  That way, once the user leaves feedback, a test can be
> constructed and the patch checked in.

I think in this particular case that would have been an overkill.  We
are all busy. When I looked what was needed to implement the feature,
I saw that only a simple patch was required that I could do in 5
minutes.  So, I did it. Otherwise I would have postpone it and asked
to submit a feature request.

>>  I don't see harm in such patches, it does not break anything,
>>  and there is potential user who can confirm if the feature works or
>> not.
>
> The problem is that, while I trust your coding skill, I have no
> guarantee that your code is working right now on my machine, or that
> it won't stop working at some point in the future.  Here's an abstract
> from a testing guideline I am busy writing, that describes my point of

While I strongly agree with the importance of unittests, we should not
be too bureaucratic too, imho, because it can crush down creativity
which is also important. So, we need to move forward along a middle
ground.

In this particular case, I'd say, you have been looking for a problem
that was not there. :)

> I hope I caused no offense, I have a lot of respect for the work you
> and others did in SciPy.  I just hope that we can strive to build an
> higher quality codebase in the future.

No offense taken:) Though I have been inactive for some time now, I have
been still following the list and overall scipy/numpy development. But
since you are using past tense, I gather I have been writeoff (I hope
this is the right term) :)

Regards,
Pearu