[SciPy-dev] F2PY future

Pearu Peterson pearu@cens.ioc...
Fri Apr 11 13:53:23 CDT 2008

On Fri, April 11, 2008 7:36 pm, Nathan Bell wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 6:07 AM, Pearu Peterson <pearu@cens.ioc.ee> wrote:
>
>>  However, there are rumours of cleaning up scipy/numpy from extension
>>  generation tools and so in long term, f2py may need to look for another
>>  home.
>
> Do you mean that NumPy/SciPy would no longer include f2py source code

yes, but that is just a rumour:), one should not expect that to
happen in near future. I think first we need g3 f2py.

> or that NumPy/SciPy would no longer use extension generation tools at
> all?

they should certainly do that as extension generation tools
guarantee higher quality of the extension modules than writing
hundreds of extension modules by hand.

>>  So, I wonder if a hosting could be provided for f2py? Say, in a
>>  form of f2py.scipy.org or www.f2py.org? I am rather ignorant about
>> these
>>  matters, so any help will be appreciated.
>
> If you haven't done so already, register f2py.org immediately (and
> possibly the .com as well).  Many registration services (e.g.
> godaddy.com) allow you to forward the URL to another URL.  For
> instance, http://pyamg.org currently redirects to
> http://code.google.com/p/pyamg/.  If you chose to run your own host in
> the future, then you can just point the DNS record for your domain to
> the host's IP.

Thanks for the hints, they were very useful. I have registered
f2py.org and f2py.com domains and the redirections work
fine. This solves one problem: now one can advertise f2py via
www.f2py.com (or www.f2py.org) and it should be stable at
least for the next 10 years:).

Thanks,
Pearu