[SciPy-dev] Moving numexpr to its own project

David M. Cooke cookedm@physics.mcmaster...
Tue Apr 15 15:55:00 CDT 2008

Jonathan Guyer <guyer@nist.gov> writes:

> On Apr 7, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Jarrod Millman wrote:
>
>> I can't really speak for the authors, but I would guess they were
>> looking for a large audience.  Rather than numexpr being rejected from
>> the scikit's namespace as "not 'sciency' enough", the authors wanted
>> their project not to appear to be restricted to scientific uses.
>
> This is just a guess, but they also might not want to have appeared to
> require SciPy, specifically. Speaking from our own experience,
> although FiPy uses and recommends SciPy, we don't require it because
> it's frankly a headache to install and we know from experience that
> the support requests from our users are going to come to us, not to
> the SciPy developers.

Numexpr, even as part of scipy.sandbox, didn't require other parts of
SciPy, so scipy.sandbox really was just a convenient place to park it.
(It's much like weave in that respect.) Heck, it required Python 2.4
(scipy requires 2.3). So, yes, I see removing the association with
SciPy as a plus.

It's also used by PyTables (although currently embedded, not as a
dependency), which is another numpy-using, non-scipy-requiring project.

(As to a large audience, well, if there are other users out there of
numexpr, I'd love to here from you! I'll do a 1.0 release soon.)