[SciPy-dev] random seed in scipy.stats

Hoyt Koepke hoytak@gmail....
Sun Apr 20 02:44:29 CDT 2008

>  My preference is for a pattern like this:
>
>  def somefunc(x,y,z, prng=numpy.random):
>     w = prng.standard_normal()
>
>  This allows the default uses to share the same generator state which
>  could avoid some problematic cases.

This makes sense; I agree.  I also like the option of passing a
straight random seed as an option.  I will at least include your
suggestion, and both if it isn't too hard and no one objects.

Since scipy.stats works with objects, it seems there are three options:

1. pass prng to the constructor; then all of the members use it.
2. pass prng individually to each rvs() function.
3. both 1 & 2

I can see arguments for both, so 3 might be the best option.

>  But yes, such a change would be very welcome. It might be a
>  substantial chunk of work, though, which is why I haven't done it.

Maybe, but unless I'm missing something it looks fairly
straightforward. It imports numpy.random as mtrand, nice and unique,
so it looks like it will be a lot of search and replace.  Like I said,
it would be quite useful for me, so I'll see what I can do.

--Hoyt