[SciPy-dev] scipy.interpolate missing functions

Mon Apr 21 00:04:50 CDT 2008

Hi,

It was recently pointed out on scipy-user that scipy.interpolate has
"lagrange", a function to compute the Lagrange interpolating
polynomial, but that it is not documented and doesn't work because of
a missing import. Not surprisingly, it wasn't tested either. Attached
is a patch to fix all three issues (though I haven't tested it because
I have not yet figured out how to compile a local version of scipy
that (a) doesn't clobber my real installation and (b) actually works).

As I was doing this I noticed that there are some other functions in
interpolate.py that are not exported, documented, or tested. They do
various things to do with splines; I think they're designed to
construct splines satisfying various criteria, as well as evaluate
those splines and (optionally) convert them to a piecewise-polynomial
representation. What's the story on these functions? I notice a lot of
"raise NotImplementedError"s; are they some project that was never
finished?

Anne