[SciPy-dev] scipy.interpolate missing functions

Andrew Straw strawman@astraw....
Mon Apr 21 00:57:05 CDT 2008

Anne Archibald wrote:
> I have not yet figured out how to compile a local version of scipy
> that (a) doesn't clobber my real installation and (b) actually works).

I suggest virtualenv: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv

It lets one easily and reproducibly create isolated Python
pseudo-installations that you can install packages in without clobbering
your system. When I want to test out a development version of scipy, I
uninstall scipy from my system (just to be sure that version is not
used), and then install to the virtualenv I've created just for the
purpose. It doesn't mess with my system Python and it's very easy to
use, just "python virtualenv.py ~/ENV" to create a working environment
based in ~/ENV and then "source ~/ENV/bin/activate" in any shell where I
want to use that environment. (Caveat: I have only used virtualenv in
linux.)

-Andrew