[SciPy-dev] Inclusion of cython code in scipy

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Thu Apr 24 11:19:01 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian Granger wrote:
>
>  >> Then why not start a project to get SWIG to do away with the shadow
>  >> module?
>  >
>  > I don't have a passion for actually working seriously on these
>  > projects - I am lazy and simply want to use them :)
>  >
>  >>  Lets take a simple case of someone wanting to handle a growing
>  >>  collection of say a million particles and do something to them.  How do
>  >>  you do that in cython/pyrex and get the performance of C and interface
>  >>  to numpy?  Worse, even if it were possible, you'll still need to know
>  >>  something about allocating memory in C and manipulating pointers.  I can
>  >>  do that with C++ and SWIG today.
>  >
>  > C++ STL containers are truly great for things like this.  I would
>  > write a simple c++ header file that defines the Particle class, create
>  > an std::vector<Particle> to hold them and wrap the whole thing into
>  > Cython.  I have already done stuff like this (templated c++ with STL)
>  > with cython and it works great.  Furthermore, you end up with an
>  > actual C/Python extension type that 1) is super fast 2) has its own C
>  > api that can be called from other C extensions.
>  >

Unfortunately, the context I have done this in is proprietary code for
my employer.  But, I will try to put together a simple example this
weekend and post it to launchpad.  The documentation on these
capabilities of Cython isn't great right now for sure, so some example
code would sure help.