[SciPy-dev] MIT license

Dominique Orban dominique.orban@gmail....
Sun Apr 27 16:18:38 CDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've received some MIT-licensed code to read matrices in the
>  Harwell-Boeing file format[1].
>
>  My understanding is that the MIT license is essentially the same as
>  the BSD, so is there any need to relicense the code?  Generally, can
>  MIT licensed code be included in SciPy without further consideration?
>
>  [1] http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/354

Nathan,

I chose the MIT license because I had to pick one. I am not partial to
it and am open to picking another. The HB and RB readers depend on
Konrad Hinsen's FortranFormat module, which I think is part of his
ScientificPython package---that's released under the "CeCILL" license
(www.cecill.info/index.en.html) so I'm not sure how that works with
SciPy licensing.

>  Dominique, thanks for your contribution and sorry for the slow
>  progress on this ticket.

No problem. I am not sure what the best way to alert the SciPy team
is. At the time I posted the module, I had e-mailed the developers
list but strangely, the message bounced back to me.

Dominique