[SciPy-dev] random seed in scipy.stats

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Apr 29 14:33:13 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Hoyt Koepke <hoytak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I have a patch together that does the above.  I've been using it
>  in my code for the past week or so, and I'm happy with how it works.
>  If someone with svn commit access could review it and commit it, that
>  would be helpful.

Thank you! I will try to review it tomorrow.

>  It allows users to specify a RandomState object to use in calculating
>  the random samples in the stats code.  It defaults to the previous
>  behavior of drawing them directly from the numpy.random module, so it
>  shouldn't break any backwards compatibility.  There is also full test
>  coverage.
>
>  I'm a bit new to the process of submitting patches like this. The
>  attached is a tarball of three svndiff  outputs. In general, is that
>  the best way to submit a patch?

For related changes like this, it is easier for the reviewer/committer
to have a single .diff made from the root of the source tree rather
than one .diff for each changed file.

>  I plan on contributing to scipy more
>  in the future, so I want to get the process right from the start.

Usually, they should be attached to a ticket on the scipy Trac. You
will need to register before you can make a ticket.

  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy
  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/register

However, I imagine you will probably get SVN access in short order if
you keep this up.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."