[SciPy-dev] TOMS 526 license?

Jonathan Guyer guyer@nist....
Wed Aug 13 10:22:35 CDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Alan G Isaac wrote:

> If this has not already been addressed, I recommend
> contacting:
>
>    Deborah Cotton, Copyright & Permissions
>            permissions AT acm.org
>    ACM Publications
>    2 Penn Plaza, Suite 701**
>    New York, NY 10121-0701
>
> She has proved helfpul in releasing code to SciPy under
> a BSD license in the past.

If for some reason that proves to be a problem, Robert is probably
right about the implications of the code being developed by a DoC
employee. The language we are told to use at NIST (also DoC) is:

This software was developed at the National Institute of Standards
and Technology by employees of the Federal Government in the course
of their official duties.  Pursuant to title 17 section 105 of the
United States Code this software is not subject to copyright
protection and is in the public domain.  <SOFTWARE> is an experimental
system.  NIST assumes no responsibility whatsoever for its use by
other parties, and makes no guarantees, expressed or implied, about
its quality, reliability, or any other characteristic.  We would
appreciate acknowledgement if the software is used.

This software can be redistributed and/or modified freely
provided that any derivative works bear some notice that they are
derived from it, and any modified versions bear some notice that
they have been modified.

IANAL, but I don't believe that ACM could impose a more restrictive
license on top of it even if they were inclined to do so.