[SciPy-dev] scipy sandbox going, going, gone....

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Sat Aug 16 19:49:33 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> In preparation for the 0.7.0 beta release, I am going to remove
> scipy.sandbox.  We are approaching 8 months since it was decided to
> remove it.  If you are interested in why the sandbox was created and
> why it is being removed, please read this:
> http://jarrodmillman.blogspot.com/2007/12/end-of-scipy-sandbox.html
>
> Most of the sandbox code has all ready been moved somewhere else, but
> there is still some code that remains.  So my plan is to create a
> branch called sandbox from the trunk on Saturday.  I will then remove
> the sandbox from the trunk.

The sandbox code has been removed:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/4647
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/4648

I wasn't sure what to do with a few things:

**  A couple of docstrings in scipy/maxentropy/maxentutils.py:

def sparsefeatures(f, x, format='csc_matrix'):
    """ Returns an Mx1 sparse matrix of non-zero evaluations of the
    scalar functions f_1,...,f_m in the list f at the point x.

    If format='ll_mat', the PySparse module (or a symlink to it) must be
    available in the Python site-packages/ directory.  A trimmed-down
    version, patched for NumPy compatibility, is available in the SciPy
    sandbox/pysparse directory.
    """
def sparsefeaturematrix(f, sample, format='csc_matrix'):
    """Returns an (m x n) sparse matrix of non-zero evaluations of the scalar
    or vector functions f_1,...,f_m in the list f at the points
    x_1,...,x_n in the sequence 'sample'.

    If format='ll_mat', the PySparse module (or a symlink to it) must be
    available in the Python site-packages/ directory.  A trimmed-down
    version, patched for NumPy compatibility, is available in the SciPy
    sandbox/pysparse directory.
    """

And this example scipy/maxentropy/examples/bergerexamplesimulated.py
imports from the sandbox:
 from scipy.sandbox import montecarlo

Any ideas about how we should handle these?

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley