[SciPy-dev] tagging 0.7rc1 this weekend?

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Dec 2 21:16:42 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Damian Eads <eads@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Is what's on the trunk now at the time you tag 0.7.0rc1 going into the
> release? I ask because I added some regression tests to the trunk
> after you tagged the 0.7.0b1. This is the first release I am a part of
> so I'm curious if we are leaving open the possibility of more regular
> 0.7.x minor releases.

Once we are ready to make a release candidate for 0.7.0, I will create
a 0.7.x branch from the trunk.  At that point the trunk will be
reopened for new features and will where we work on the next minor
release (i.e., SciPy 0.8.x).

I will then tag 0.7.0rc1 from the 0.7.x branch.  If there are any
major regressions or release blockers found during the testing of the
0.7.0rc1, fixes should be applied to the trunk and back-ported to the
0.7.x branch.  If necessary, I will tag 0.7.0rc2 from the fixed 0.7.x
branch; otherwise, I will tag 0.7.0 from the 0.7.x branch.

At that point, attention will focus on the trunk.  Ideally, most
bug-fixes should be back-ported to the 0.7.x branch.  I would like to
release at least a couple of bug-fix releases (i.e., 0.7.1, 0.7.2,
etc.).  Ideally, I would love to see us getting monthly bug-fix
releases out.  Even if there are a just a few bugs fixed on the
branch, I think it would be reasonable to make a release.  (If you or
anyone else is willing to fix bugs on the trunk and back-port them to
the 0.7.x branch, I will be happy to help get a bug-fix release out.)

I would also like to be more disciplined with getting minor releases
out more regularly.  It seems that a 6 month feature release is a
reasonable aim.  Once we get 0.7.0 released, I hope that we can have a
dicsussion about our intentions for the 0.8 release and come to a
consensus on a release schedule.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman