[SciPy-dev] Warning about remaining issues in stats.distributions ?

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Dec 2 22:12:58 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:06 AM,  <josef.pktd@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are still some known failures or methods, that don't work very
> well for some distributions:
>
> * skew. kurtosis: a few remaining incorrect results, no exact test available
> * entropy: returns nan in some cases, correctness of values not tested
> * fit: does not converge, or does not estimate correctly for some distributions,
>       this is expected since maximum likelihood does not always work
> * distributions that have problems for some range of parameters
> * incorrect random number generator for one discrete distribution
>
> Is it useful to put a warning about these issues in
> stats.distributions in the release?

It would be great to add something like this to the docstrings (as
long as you weren't proposing to raise a warning).

> Per Brodtkorb has an improved version of distributions.py with an
> additional estimation
> procedure, which we can discuss as an enhancement after 0.7 is out of
> the way, if there is
> an interest in this.

That would be great.  Once I create the 0.7.x branch, the trunk will
be open for 0.8 development.  Hopefully we can get this in ASAP in the
0.8 development.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman