[SciPy-dev] Numerical Recipes (was tagging 0.7rc1 this weekend?)

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Wed Dec 3 14:53:29 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a difference between referencing NR's descriptions of
> algorithms and translating its code. I suspect that the functions in
> stats.py, originally written by Gary Perlman, probably fall into the
> latter category, but the others probably don't. Before pulling out
> functions, it would be worthwhile to compare our implementations with
> NR's to see if they in fact do look translated.
>
> But do keep in mind that the algorithms are not copyrightable, and the
> fact that there are only so many ways to implement said algorithms
> correctly is fairly substantial protection for us.

Agreed.  I don't necessarily think that we need to rip out the
functions nor simply remove the reference to Numerical Recipes.  If it
turns out that we all ready have (or could easily have with a quick
rewrite) code that is based on the algorithms described in Numerical
Recipes (but not *derived* from their code), we should leave them in
and make sure to clarify in the comments that this is the case.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley