[SciPy-dev] Scipy Tutorial (and updating it)

Thu Dec 4 08:11:14 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 09:01:41AM -0500, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> I think this gets into areas of "true belief".
> My view is that an adequately linked single
> HTML document can be just as useful or more useful
> than a broken up document.  Example: the NumPy
> Example List is much more useful if we can search
> nicely across all the examples, which requires a single
> page document.

I really don't understand this argument. It does not scale, and thats the
reason why there is a search box with sphinx. What is the problem with
the search box? It is not as good as google, but I find it works quite
well, and certain as well as "Ctrl-F".

> That said, there is no reason by broken up HTML document
> requires a broken up reST source.  Just write each
> section to a separate file, with appropriate headers.
> I think the rst2html writer used to support that out
> of the box, although I'm not positive.

I don't think so, and in addition we are using sphinx, not vanilla rst,
so we need to use the sphinx tools. That said, once again, sphinx creates
pdf that is single page, and can thus be searched. I think this is the
answer to your request.

My 2 cents,

Gaël