[SciPy-dev] segmentation with scipy+icc during test

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt@ugent...
Fri Dec 5 15:04:20 CST 2008

salut matthieu,

> > and i dealt with that using the advice the guy got from intel: link mkl
> > blas and lapack statically.
> > numpy builds and works,
>
> Manually?
no. i modified the numpy distutils a little bit so it would accept the
-Bstatic and -Bdynamic switches, for everything else i used standard
numpy buld procedure (i also change intelccompiler.py a bit so numpy
would use icpc as cxx compiler)

> Did you do the same for scipy ?
i could be completely wrong, but as far as i can tell, scipy reuses the
numpy distutils and site.cfg, and looking at the build logs, the same
options were used.

> Because the first time I ran
> into this issue was with the FFT functions.
when i say numpy works, i mean the unittests don't fail. (but i have set
the fftw3 intel interfaces in the numpy site.cfg. i haven't bothered yet
to check what scipy uses for fft, as i first want to reproduce the
segfault outside the test environment.)

> And the guy is me.

ah. well, thanks for contacting intel for their advice. it saved me some
work ;)

>  it's scipy that causes the segfault (although
> > scipy uses the same build options as numpy. (i'm not saying that the
> > segfault has nothing to do with using icc/ifort/icpc, just that it's not
> > this specific problem).
>
> Another solution:
> - make a simple Python script with the test inside
i tried but failed. and i don't want to figure out the whole nose test
environment just to do this ;)

> - call gdb python
> - call r script.py
>
> and tell us where it crashes ;)
>
> > i actually just found out that while running the scipy tests, gcc is
> > called. i always assumed that scipy takes whatever numpy uses. (it
> > seemed to work pretty well). maybe the tests don't?
>
> It may be weave that calls gcc.

but this should be 100% harmless? (i'm not familiar with the inner
working of scipy)

thanks

stijn
--