[SciPy-dev] Numerical Recipes (was tagging 0.7rc1 this weekend?)

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Fri Dec 5 22:18:49 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
> As for `ridder` and `brentq`, I hardly think NR
> would have a hope of copyrighting anything but
> their actual code implementing these.
> A classic reference should be given in any case:
>
> Ridders, C. F. J. "A New Algorithm for Computing a
> Single Root of a Real Continuous Function."
> IEEE Trans. Circuits Systems 26, 979-980, 1979.

Hello Alan,

Would you be willing to take care of `ridder` and `brentq`?  If you
are willing, I would appreciate it if you could verify that our
implementations are not derived from the Numerical Recipes code.  The
docstrings for these two functions seem to indicate that the code
differs from that in Numerical Recipes, so you may be able to find
references for our implementations.

Hopefully you could do somethings like Josef did for ks2_samp:
  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/5223

Since we need to make sure we aren't violating the Numerical Recipes'
license (now that we have become aware of it) before releasing 0.7.0,
I hope that you will be able to take care of this ASAP.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley