[SciPy-dev] Scipy Tutorial (and updating it)

Sat Dec 6 04:31:39 CST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 01:10:46PM -0500, jh@physics.ucf.edu wrote:
> Gael, what you describe below is just a collection of documents about
> each of scipy's modules, written by the maintainers of those modules.
> That is valuable to have, but it is not a user guide.  If you look at
> the User Guide for any of our competing environments (IDL, Matlab,
> Mathematica, etc.), or indeed for any large software package, you'll
> find a document that is integrated across the areas of functionality.

Correct, and I agree that we need this. But this is not the SciPy user
guide. SciPy is only one of the packages. Unlike the other environments,
we have a separation of functionnality. From a software engineering point
of view, this is a good thing (eg it makes shipping pure numerical
algorithms easier, or it makes it possible to run them on embedded
systems). I agree that for a large classe of users, this separation makes
no sens. Thus I agree that an overall document is crucial. But the SciPy
User Guide isn't that.

Gaël