[SciPy-dev] scipy.optimize.nonlin rewrite

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Mon Dec 8 12:11:35 CST 2008

Hi Ondrej,

Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:43:47 +0100, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> First let me apologize for taking me so long to reply. I wrote this code
> in the first place and I am happy that Pauli has rewritten it. I agree
> with the general direction, but I think this change should not go into
> 0.7.0, as it changes the interface and it is not well tested yet.
> Also, you renamed all the working broyden implementations that I use as
> BadBroyden, so I suggest to name them GoodBroyden, more below.

Quick comment (I'll post a more thorough reply later on). The "good" and
"bad" Broyden's method are names referring to specific ways to update the
Jacobian (at least these were the names I learned here in a univ.
course), cf. also [1]; they do not really refer to goodness or badness of
the methods, and definitely not to quality of implementation. (If you
meant I had mislabeled one of these, please correct me.)

.. [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broyden%27s_method

Cheers,
Pauli