[SciPy-dev] FFT docstrings (was: Scipy Tutorial (and updating it))

jh@physics.uc... jh@physics.uc...
Sat Dec 13 12:48:51 CST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 03:19:05PM -0500, jh@physics.ucf.edu wrote:
> Also, the current routine examples satisfy a mathematician but do not
> give insight into what the FT actually *does*, i.e., extract the
> periodic content of a signal.

Gael responded:
> Yes, I was thinking similarly. This is exactly why I brought up the
> question about plotting.

We avoid plots when possible, of course, but I think that if ever
there were a case for a line plot in numpy, it would be fft.  The
constraints are that we want a plot in the docs but can't have one in
the most basic doc reader, help().  A compromise might be to put it in
the package docstring and not the routine docstrings.  We might also
include the full filename of the plot, so someone working in text
could view the plot separately.

Looking ahead, would it be possible to get Python to use a module's
help() method if it exists?  Then we could replace help() with a
full-functioning reader that defaults to the current help() behavior
but could be configured by a state variable to run a browser for the
PDF or HTML docs.  I assume this would require a PEP and providing
some code.

--jh--